Pages

Translate

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Midweek Metaphor

What's up everyone? An assignment is pending but right now there are too much thoughts and ideas bouncing around my head. I need to materialize them in writing for you to ponder or they'll ultimately disappear into a forgotten realm. Here goes...

My beard and I share a special bond. Over the Christmas break my brother challenged me to a "beard-off " thus a relationship was born.  During the good times it was flourishing and all was well. However, this relationship wasn't meant to be. The growth began to stagnate so I severed the connection. It last a total of six weeks. Upon reflection it wasn't the right decision because my face now feels naked. Nevertheless, there is some consolation in knowing my facial hair will eventually come back.

Human relationships can arguably seem more complex. My beard began life already attached (to my face) but to form an attachment with another person the good experiences have to happen first. From this initial connection a relationship may develop. Without proper maintenance there is no guarantee it will last. To cut a beard you need a razor and a steady hand. It can be difficult to just cut someone off once you are attached and it's likely to be the heart instead of your face that feels the detriments of separation. In a relationship, slow growth is better than no growth and love is what keeps it going.

Okay, I'm getting all metaphorical in this bitch today. My intention was to define some key differences between attachment, love and relationships using my beard story as an analogy. Hopefully I have accomplished that mission so I'll get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment