Pages

Translate

Wednesday 9 January 2013

Back In The Day

Since I've been back at uni time just seems to evaporate. Apologies for neglecting the blog over the last few days, it's a mixture of genuine amnesia and procrastination so I'll try to be more focused. Hmm... what's on my mind today?

Childhood. Let's take it old school!

I was a 90's baby - '93 to be precise. This was the golden era. Spice Girls were topping the charts, Power Rangers was actually a decent show and Pokemon was the centre of my world. My love for games also began around this time. I vividly remember playing Super Nintendo at my cousin's house. To say he was a bit greedy is an understatement. My brother and I would hardly have a turn but it was still enjoyable. The day we got our own console was unforgettable, the original Playstation. Powering it on for the first time was a magical experience.

Naively, I believed nothing could make me as excited ever again. That is until the arrival of Scalextric. For those who don't know, Scalextric let's you build your own circuit and use a triggered controller to race against an opponent. Our Scalextric set lasted about a week. The car engines simply could not handle the heat. Now I think about it a lot of my toys broke from overexertion, the mini air-hockey table, swingball, action figures. I was a pretty destructive kid.

Thankfully, I've become more calm as an adult but my wilder side is prevalent in certain situations. Some things never change though because Space Jam is still one of my all-time favourite films and I'm into games now more than ever before. As a child, you imagine yourself as a grownup: what you'll look like, how you'll speak, your profession etc. I never would have pictured myself where I am today, hell! I used to wanna be a fireman to be honest.

Ah well!

Times change, people grow older, we might lose the ones we love. All these things can influence the person we become. As I see it, it doesn't matter so long as you have an aspiration and the commitment to reach your goals.

Ugh! this sounds all preachy and motivational. I'm off for a well-deserved games break, ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment